Georgia Drag Racing News

Information about Georgia drag racing history, personalities, activities and events from GeorgiaDragRacing.com.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Chip Ellis and G2 Wins the Jackpot at Vegas

Courtesy Jerry Battle

LAS VEGAS (October 31, 2004) – Racing into a moderate to strong head wind throughout eliminations, Chip Ellis, who qualified No. 2 aboard the G2/S&S/Star Racing Buell, wins the NHRA ACDelco Las Vegas Nationals, his first NHRA win.

En route to the final round Ellis, 34, defeated Chip Hunter in the opening round, Antron Brown in the quarterfinals and Shawn Gann in the semis.

The final round matched Ellis against Angelle Savoie, who was a three-time Pro Stock Bike champion when she was with George Bryce’s Star Racing.

Savoie was away first at the green light but the power of Ellis’ S&S Cycle powered motorcycle quickly overtook Savoie and went on to claim the victory.

Ellis covered The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway quarter-mile in 7.191 seconds, while Savoie recorded an elapsed time of 7.255 seconds.

“The bike won that race,” said Ellis. “Angelle (Savoie) had me on the tree, but I’ll tell you this G2/S&S/Star Racing Buell has run very consistent and consistently fast. My hat is off to the guys at G2 and S&S. I couldn’t have done this without you. They did an awesome job.

“It’s a great feeling for me personally. I’m also really happy for both George Bryce and George Smith. I’m glad I was on the bike for this first win.”

It was the first win for the newly formed race team of G Squared Motorsports, owned by George Bryce and George Smith.

“I think it’s been about 13 months since my last win,” said Bryce. “All the troubles we’ve had along the way working out the bugs on this G2/S&S/Star Racing Buell just adds sweetness to the win. I kept telling Chip and I kept telling Big George that if we could just weather the storm until we figured out all the little things we needed to learn about this program that it would just make the victory sweeter. Man, this is sweet.”

Bryce’s partner George Smith added, “How ‘bout this NHRA POWERade drag racing. Isn’t this great that we’ve got this format to show our wares and have fun at the same time.

“This win is going to sell some S&S engines and help the class. It will bring more sponsors in. I know it’s a win for G Squared Motorsports but I think everyone wins in this situation.

“I’ve got to thank my partner George Bryce for doing such a fine job. Ken Johnson handles too much to name but he has my thanks. Chip Ellis does such a fine job driving and there will be more wins from that young man. And finally, I want to especially thank the S&S crew.”

The win moved Ellis into the top twenty in the NHRA POWERade Pro Stock Bike standings at No. 19. After only three races, the Americus, Ga., driver has 190 points.

Eliminations:
Round 1: Ellis (7.175/178.26) def. Chip Hunter (7.393174.28)
Round 2 (Quarterfinals): Ellis (7.175/179.14) def. Antron Brown (7.227/178.12)
Round 3 (Semifinals): Ellis (7.213/182.40) def. Shawn Gann (7.368/176.12)
Round 4 (Finals): Ellis (7.191/179.92) winner over Angelle Savoie (7.255/177.49)


G SQUARED MOTORSPORTS
OWNERS: GEORGE BRYCE & GEORGE SMITH
NHRA PRO-STOCK BIKE: G2/S&S/STAR RACING BUELL
RIDER: CHIP ELLIS
MEDIA CONTACT: Mickey Schultz