Georgia Drag Racing News

Information about Georgia drag racing history, personalities, activities and events from GeorgiaDragRacing.com.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Southeastern Dragway to Host 50th Anniversary Race July 9th

I've known about this for a while, but I was waiting until everything was finalized before putting it into print. Since the news is out already, I talked to Gene Fuller (Southeastern Dragway operator) and Donnie Reeves (Donnie is putting together the show) today and they gave me their blessing to start spreading the word ( even though everything is not definite and things could change by race time).

Here is what I know. Southeastern Dragway ( or Southeastern International Dragway - Dallas, GA) is celebrating their 50th anniversary on July 4th. On July 9th, 2005 the anniversary race will be held and it should be something! It has been many years since nitro funny cars raced competitively at Dallas ( Yes, Donnie Reeves and Bob Gibson were there a couple of years ago and ran a small percentage of pop, but they were mainly testing and sorting the cars out.) Well, Donnie (and Gene) tells me this time the cars are going to be really tipping the can and going for it! They are planning on doing the 50th celebration right with radio spots and more aggressive advertising than usual. Donnie tells me that Berserko Bob has even agreed to be the voice on the ads and announce at the race.

The line up as it stands right now is (subject to change?) Jeff Gaynor in the Cuda ( yeah, Mr. Pammy and Pammy Utterback herself as I understand it), Rob Bruce in the Zombie Charger (Donnie tells me that Rob will be bringing a fuel altered body - more on that later), Virgil Hartman's '71 Mustang with Richard Hartman driving, Steve Nichols and his Chevy powered '70 Camaro from Delaware, Rick Stambaugh and his Corvette, Donnie Reeves and his Mustang and Mitch King with his '66 Mustang and a separate fuel altered. As far as I know, fuel altereds have never ran at Dallas ( I could be wrong, but I've never heard about it). Donnie said that Rob Bruce may run his car with the altered body against King, but those details have yet to be ironed out.

Gary Fore is going to bring his jet funny car (a recently completed '71 Mustang), Bob Gibson is scheduled to bring his FED and there will be a yet to be determined number of alcohol funnies, too. The ticket price is going to be $20 and Donnie said that he is pre-selling the tickets.

Most of you know that I spent a lot of time at Southeastern Dragway in the early 70s and I had a blast. A dragstrip operating for 50 years is not all that common and I'm happy that they've made it this long. I think this anniversary party is going to be the most fun I've had in a long time and I hope some you guys can make it, too! Gene and Donnie are two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and I hope everyone will spread the word and help these guys out.

For tickets or more information, call Donnie Reeves at 770-546-4759 (cell) or Gene Fuller at 770-445-2183. More details as they become available.

Southeastern Dragway

David